- Directorate of Elementary Education (DEE)
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (Anaivarukkum Kalvi Thittam) (SSA)
- Directorate of School Education (DSE)
- Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA)
- Directorate of Matriculation Schools (DMS)
- State Council for Education, Research and Training (SCERT)
- Directorate of Non-Formal & Adult Education (DNFAE)
- Directorate of Government Examination (DGE)
- Teacher Recruitment Board (TRB)
- Tamil Nadu Text Book Corporation (TNTBC)
- Directorate of Public Libraries (DPL)
The States Endeavour is to ensure that all children between the age group of 6-14 are enrolled in the school system. It is with this noble cause that the Tamil Nadu Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Rules, 2011 was notified by the Government in November 2011. The State aims not only to provide necessary infrastructure for primary and upper primary education, but also will ensure 100% enrolment of children between the age group of 6-14 in the regular school system by the end of 2012-13.
The State, in order to focus on primary education set up a separate Directorate in the year 1986 to cater to the needs of primary education. In the past two and half decades this Directorate has been instrumental in the growth of primary education and has helped to achieve the present Net Enrolment Rate (NER) of 99.63% in primary and 98.88% in upper primary respectively. As assured in the Budget 2012-13 this Directorate will strive hard to achieve the 100% enrollment level in the State.
The Directorate is headed by a senior Director, assisted by two Joint Directors and ably supported by 4491 non-teaching staff. Under its administrative control there are 34871 primary schools, 9969 middle (upper primary) schools with students strength of 53.31 lakh comprising of 31.79 Lakh in primary and 21.52 in middle schools.